Thursday 2 June 2011

It was going so well.....

Remember the lovely wonky star quilt top I finished a while ago for 'Little Miss H'?

Yeah? Well last night I basted it and began quilting it, it was looking good even if I do say so myself!! I quit at around midnight, dreamt about the quilt all night (sad I know) and so was up early to do some more quilting this morning, you know before the little peeps woke up!!!

So there I am happily quilting away when 'Mr. G' rings me, I stopped, leaving said quilt under machine and had a 5-10min chat with the hubby. When I returned to the quilt I could smell burning? I switched the machine off and checked round the house to make sure we weren't on fire and couldn't find anything??? Curious I thought, switched the machine back on, rotated the quilt and saw it.........



It appears the light bulb has burnt the quilt top whilst it was scrunched up under the machine. Its entirely my fault as I was sewing without the cover on that bit of the machine, which I'd taken off to make it easier to attach the walking foot.....then being lazy I didn't re-attach. Pap.

So what to do? I'm thinking hand applique some circles of fabric onto the top, one of which will cover the burn mark??? Any ideas greatly appreciated!!

Here is a close up of my favourite star on the quilt, quilted of course:
This is my favourite quilt I've made so far, just need to sort that burn out. Damn.

17 comments:

  1. That's rotten! Applique a heart with H's name on it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no! I think I would remove the burnt bit and then cover the hole with an applique...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blast what a pain. Applique sounds like the solution to me.
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh crap!! Patch it up it will make the quilt even more lovely and dear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nightmare! Glad it didn't all go up in flames! I'd appliqué a mini star over it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bad luck! I agree with the others, a little applique label would work just fine..it's looking lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrible luck. I do understand about the dreaming stuff. I do it all the time.
    It is patchwork and there really are no rules so cutting out the burnt bits and adding an extra patch would work and also a little dedication patch for the recipient could be put in or even a few random stars stuck on top and raw edge quilted wouldn't take too long. Quilts are meant to be patchy so don't worry too much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a shame, but like the two above I would just cut out the burnt bit and put a heart in applique and it will probably end up looking personalised and beautiful, Bettyx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You numpty!!!
    Make a v. narrow stripe of all the fabrics you've used... patched together - like 5cm squares or something and attach across width of quilt as if it was meant to be there all along. Sorted :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no!!! if you wanted it to blend in could you cut the burnt bit out and applique a square of the backing fabric over and it won't notice so bad? Or maybe you'd have room for a tiny tiny wonky star appliqued on top with the initial 'H' in the centre because she is a little star?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pain in the ****....you sound remarkably calm! I think the applique idea is a good one, not sure what else to suggest (except to say Miss H won't mind in the slightest and it is a gorgeous quilt). Sympathy, Juliexx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Curses!! What a thing to happen. Good thing cotton smolders, instead of igniting, and that you didn't leave the house! I agree - remove the burnt bit (don't just sew on top of it) because the smell will permeate the rest of the quilt. I like Kitschy's idea with the heart!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh noooooooooooooooo! I bet you cover it beautifully xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you swear??!! That is so the sort of thing I would do. What a nightmare! Beautiful quilt though. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How annoying is that? I like the heart idea, it will fit in perfectly and could be your quilt label too- once it is there it will look like it was integral!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How annoying! I like all the ideas above of appliqueing a little heart or star on with her initial or name if there is room. Quilt looks fabulous by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Justine, I'm rather gutted for you, I know it can be fixed but all that work.....I was reading the post and looking at the photo and thinking how great it looks when I got to the burning bit (and then clocked the burn patch on the photo). I think an appliqued patch with a message for little miss H is a great idea and you'd never know it was meant to be any different. Bethx

    ReplyDelete

Well hello and thanks so much for commenting! It's lovely to hear from you, Justine xx

 
Blogging tips