Friday 7 May 2010

Cuteness x2....


'Master M' has been invited to a classmates birthday party this week and the little girl has a twin sister. Very cute. So what to give as a present? I desperately wanted the present to have a handmade element so after discussion with 'Master M' we decided upon a handmade little bag for each of the girls, a la Cath Kidston style, filled with a few bits and bats.
So once everyone was in bed last night I set out my stall and began sewing, hooray my favourite time of day! I used fabrics from my stash and freestyled it as I didn't have a pattern. I must say I'm very pleased with the results.

I wanted the bags to be lined with a fixed lining and I managed to work out how to do that, though the seams were a little bulky. I intend to have a look around blogland for a tutorial on this at somepoint, if anyone knows where there is such a tutorial please do let me know!

I made the girls bags out of Alexander Henry's First Spring, one in blue and one in pink. I then lined them and made the handles in coordinating fabrics, the blue one in a red gingham from Tanya Whelan's Darla collection and the pink one in a Robert Kauffman blue and brown polka dot. I also put each girls initial on their respective bag in felt. I hope you agree they look great for my 1st attempt!

Anyway must dash kids to get to school and all....



16 comments:

  1. soooo dinky sweet! They simply need matching purses....wishing twas my birthday :) Well done.
    Have a great day x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justine, you need to "bag them out", see me at school and i'll tell you how!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really lovely!
    I haven't seen a tutorial but will let you know if I do. You could probably make it all inside out and then slip stitch it closed inside the bag in the lining (that way maybe you could cut the seams right back as they wouldn't be seen). Maybe have a look around for a lined tote tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Deborah

    Thanks for the comment Deb! I ran out of timeto make matching purses but I did fill the bags with daisy's in a tinfor the girls to grow at home! Justine xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. @pop-i-cok

    Dawn what are you talking about! Email me if you can as not at school til Tuesday am - work - poo! J xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Courtney

    Hi Courtney! Nice to hear from you - I told you I'd find a use for 2 of your Spring Offer Bundles!! The resst of it is earmarked as baby bibs me thinks, J xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really lovely little bags! I make loads of these and I got the idea from a great tutorial at www.morsbags.com. The tutorial doesn't use a lining but I always use a lining in mine - I basically just pin an identical rectangle of lining to each bag rectangle and follow the instructions. It works every time and the French seams make the inside look v professional. They sew theirs as a long rectangle whereas mine are the same as yours (upright). Hope it helps. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are gorgeous Justine! I think they will make two little girls very happy indeed. :)
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job, they are lovely, such pretty fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous. What lovely presents! Sure I've got a tutorial link saved somewhere. Will try and find. Took me ages to work out how to do bags with a lining even with instructions. Still struggle now if I don't make any for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @greenrabbitdesigns

    Hi Vivienne, the twins were very happy indeed! I'll be happier when I get the lining a tad more professionsla looking! Justine xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. @maryannlucy

    Thanks! I love Alexander Henry Fabric - its so cute and quirky! J xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Sew Scrumptious
    Thanks for that. Bags look so much better lined and it makes them a little more robust for little people! J xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the bags - lucky little girls! I made some quick little bags for my biggest girls birthday party bags last year, I used the pattern in Joelle Hoversons Last Minute patchwork gifts ( lots of other little pressie ideas like pencil rolls and little birds etc too). Love your blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These bags are brilliant. Well done. I'm sure the girls will be very happy with them. I do it the way Courtney suggests - inside out and the stitch up the gap when its the right way out. But I will check out some of these other suggestions as they sound good. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Julie Rutter
    Thanks Julie, just read your report of the weekends walking, looks brill. I love a bit of walking especially in the Dales! I've got some great instructions to post on my blog later for the bag lining problem! Oh and an update on the ragdoll so check back later if you can! Justine xx

    ReplyDelete

Well hello and thanks so much for commenting! It's lovely to hear from you, Justine xx

 
Blogging tips